This document contains a minimal spoiler-free backstory and orientation for the video game
in order to provide some context for the characters that is not given within the game itself.
It is a small amount of preparing information that I hope would make the
game a little more enjoyable for English-speaking players.
30 years ago, famous painter Ichirou Mamiya and his family disappeared
under mysterious circumstances.
Their home was closed up and left abandoned. It is rumoured to be haunted.
Now a television documentary crew has been granted access to investigate.
In search of lost art and the truth of what happened, they enter the Mamiya mansion.
- The director of the television crew.
- He has a teenage daughter Emi, who has come with him to the mansion.
- His wife passed away several years ago.
- He has feelings for his colleague Akiko, but is afraid to express them.
- He is trying to quit smoking, but still carries a lighter.
- The producer of the television crew.
- She manages the budget and logistics of the production.
- She cares for Kazuo, but is hesitant to make any change to their relationship.
- She carries a first-aid kit, in case anyone gets hurt.
Ryou (Taro) Taguchi
- The camera operator.
- Rude and amorous, he continually makes unsuccessful passes at the women in the crew.
- He carries a camera to photograph the old paintings.
- The eccentric host of the television show, and lead journalist.
- She has an aloof and egotistical personality.
- It is unclear whether she is interested in anything but her work.
- She carries a vacuum to remove dust and debris from the old paintings.
- Kazuo's daughter.
- On summer vacation, she has come along to spend time with her father.
- She would like to see Kazuo and Akiko together, but he doesn't appreciate her meddling.
- She carries the key to the mansion, taken to go exploring.
- An elderly man who owns the gas station in town.
- He gave directions to help the crew get to the mansion, but does not approve of what they are doing.
- Directional Pad - Move.
- A - Action menu.
- B - Status of party members.
- SELECT - No function.
- START - Pause.
- Party - Switch to another party group.
- Item - Use or transfer an item.
- Talk - Talk to person.
- Team - Add or remove members from the current party group.
- Look - Inspect an object.
- Save - Save the game.
- Quit - Reload from save, or quit to title.